My Blog List

Sunday 16 October 2016

The Death Stars do Exe-Bowl 3

This weekend I was given the opportunity to take part in Exe-bowl 3, our local Blood Bowl tournament held in Exeter (Someone dropped out a few days before the tournament and I was asked by the TD if I wanted to have the place).

Now it had been a while since I had last played any Blood Bowl and after my disastrous season during this year’s Rygas Cup I wasn’t going into the tournament particularly optimistic about my chances.  For those of you who don’t know during this year’s Rygas Cup season I had lost all but one of my games and the one I didn’t lose ended up as a draw.  My dice rolls had not been with me and over the whole of the season I had only scored 1 touchdown and caused a handful of injuries.  It was not a good year!   Since then I had played no further Blood Bowl games, this wasn’t by choice (although it is always good to take a small break from a game) but more through necessity as shortly after the Blood Bowl season had ended I was asked to take part in the 40K Crusade of Fire campaign which meant more of my time was being focused towards getting my Blood Angels army assembled and painted.  I was also keeping my hand in X-Wing as there were a few tournaments which I entered and it’s also a popular game at the club.  

When I was asked if I wanted to take part I only had a few days to sort out my team.  I decided to use my Necromantic team the Death Stars as they are the team I am most familiar with (In an ideal world I would have liked to have tried out my new Lizardmen team but as it stands I don’t have any Skinks for them yet and also I haven’t actually played any Blood Bowl games with them).  With a bit of consideration I choose my team and filled in my roster.  However I would have no time to test them out in a practice game.

On the day of the tournament I was a little apprehensive, This was only the second Blood Bowl tournament I had entered  and there were a lot of very experienced and very seasoned coaches at this one.  Luckily there were also a lot of new tournament players as well, so we ha d a good mixture of coaches.  After renewing my NAF membership (and getting a new free gift!) I was ready for my first game.
My NAF membership free gift :)
My first match was against Tom, who was a fellow club member who would be using a Skaven team. This was good as it helped calm my nerves a bit and it it was a very fun and well spirited game.  The match ended 4-1 to Tom (Good work dude)

Match two was against a Human team (I can’t remember the name of the coach) but it was his first tournament.  This turned out to be the most well balanced game I played during the tournament which ended in a 1-1 draw.  Again it was well spirited and a lot of fun. 

My third and final game was against Dane who was using a Slaan team.  I knew this game was going to be fun as before we even started the he offered to share a bottle of Doombar with me.  I’d never played against Slaan before so had no idea what they were like (turns out there pretty agile!).  The match turned into a very even comedy of errors for both of us.  His thrower constantly failed to pass anything and my Dauntless Flesh Golem failed to be dauntless.  The phrase “What the worse that can happen?” came to be a hilarious premonition of things not going to plan (For example I almost rolled 2 double skulls in a row!).  The game ended 3-1 (or possibly 4-1) to Dane.   Again a very fun and well spirited game. 


I’m not sure where I placed in the end (I’m guessing somewhere towards the bottom of the table) but I don’t really care as the tournament was a lot of fun and it definitely re-energized me into wanting to play some more Blood Bowl (and with the new version of the game coming out from GW soon we have entered a whole new level of excitement!).  Thanks to TD Pete for organising such a great tournament (and for letting me enter in the zero hour).  

Now to finish my Lizardmen team!

Coming soon to the 2017 Blood Bowl season!


No comments:

Post a Comment